How do you test that the Rain Gauge’s Tip mechanism is working?
Performing a Tip Test on the Sigma Rain Gauge.
- Connect the Rain Gauge to the FL900.
- Connect a computer to the FL900
- See " How to access the FL900."
- Set the Rain Gauge to take a reading every minute.
- Remove the funnel from the top of the Rain Gauge.
- Watch the data. Wait for a reading of 0.00". Make sure there is plenty of time before the next reading (>20 seconds).
- Slowly push (tip) the Tipping Bucket of the rain gauge.
- Push the Tipper 10 times (five times in each direction).
- Do this slowly (about one tip per second).
- Then watch for the next reading. It should read 0.10"
- If it does, the Rain Gauge is reading correctly.
- If it reads 0.07" to 0.09", repeat the test. It may read correct with another try. If not, either the Rain Gauge or the FL900 is not working properly.
- If it reads 0.00" repeatedly, then either the Rain Gauge of the FL900 is defective.
- If possible, try a different Rain Gauge or Logger to troubleshoot which is bad.