Can the Chloride Quantab® test strips be used to measure salt in animal feed?
Chloride Quantab® for salt in animal feed
The Chloride QuanTab® Test Strips, 30-600 mg/L (Product # 2744940) and the Chloride QuanTab® Test Strips, 300-600 mg/L (Product # 2751340) can be used to test salt in animal feed by using the following instructions:
- Add 90mL of boiling water (RO/DI) to 10g of the finely ground sample in a 200mL beaker.
- Stir vigorously for 30 seconds, wait one minute, stir again for 30 seconds. Cool to 20°-25°C.
- Place filter paper, folded into a cone-shaped cup, point first into the beaker. Filter the prepared aqueous solution.
- Place the lower end of the Quantab® into the filtrate (the solution which has seeped through the filter paper) being sure not to submerge the titrator more than 1.0 inch.
- 30 seconds after the moisture sensitive signal string at the top of the titrator turns dark blue or a light brown, record the Quantab® reading to the nearest 0.1 units on the titrator scale at the tip of the yellow-white peak.
- Convert the Quantab® reading to percent sodium chloride (NaCl) or to ppm chlorine (Cl-) using the calibration chart which is included in the packaging. *Each lot of Quantab® has been individually calibrated by our QA department. Be sure to use the correct calibration chart, ie. the control number on the product being used must match the control number which is on the bottle.
- Multiply the result by the dilution factor of 10 to obtain the actual salt concentration in the sample