How should laboratory equipment be sterilized using an autoclave?
Autoclave sterilization procedure
- Wash sample bottles, pipets, petri dishes, filter holder with stopper and graduated cylinder (if needed) with hot water and detergent.
- Rinse several times with tap water and then with demineralized water. Dry thoroughly.
- Prepare all equipment for the autoclave as follows:
- Loosely thread caps on sample bottles and cover caps and bottle necks with foil or paper.
- Cover the openings of graduated cylinders with foil or paper.
- Insert the filter funnel base into an autoclavable rubber stopper that will fit the filter flask.
- Wrap the two parts of the filter funnel assembly separately in heavy wrapping paper and seal with masking tape.
- Wrap petri dishes (borosilicate glass) in paper or place in aluminum or stainless cans.
- Sterilize equipment in an autoclave at 121 deg C (250 deg F) for 15 minutes. Borosilicate glass items may be sterilized with dry heat at 170 deg C (338 deg F) for a minimum of 1 hour.