How should microbiology samples be collected from rivers, lakes, and reservoirs?
Microbiology sample collection from natural supply
The following should be considered when collecting samples from rivers, lakes and reservoirs:
- Unless otherwise specified by the method you are using, when sampling a river, lake, or reservoir, do not sample near the edge or bank.
- Remove the cap, grasp the sample container near the bottom and plunge the container, mouth down, into the water in order to exclude any surface scum.
- Fill the container entirely under water by positioning the mouth into the current or, in non-flowing water, by tilting the container slightly and allowing it to fill slowly.
- Do not rinse the container before use.
- Label the sample containers immediately and analyze promptly.